The 'Original' Creative Crafting Magazine written by Crafters, for Crafters

Creative Crafting magazine began in August/September 2009, when a group of crafting friends on the Creative Connections network decided that it would be a good idea to raise awareness of the crafting community. From this point they started work and the first issue of Creative Crafting was published in October 2009 and the last was June 2014.
Now we are bringing you everything crafty from the home and beyond.

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Get Acquainted with Scrapbookerry


Published in Issue 21, February 2013
Written by Kerry from Scrapbookerry

Get Acquainted with Scrapbookerry


Tell us about the lady behind Scrapbookerry
The lady behind Scrapbookerry, is Kerry. I am just 32 (wow) but feel about 22, and have been running Scrapbookerry for 2 years now. I work from home, enabling me to keep an eye on our little man Baba who is 4 years, old turning 5 this October (double wow), and we also have our little angel Rhianna, who we lost in 2012. I don’t just have Baba to look after at home. I have a collection of animals, Bob the hamster, Mr Snail the giant African snail, Stewie the Rabbit, and Buddy and Tito the beagle brothers! So if I am not being a mum I am being a pet owner, and you may wonder where I find time to run my own business as well! It is difficult especially as I also have to find time to spend with Mr L, the man blessed with all of us in his life! As well as Scrapbooking, my favourite hobby is photography, which goes together really well with my love of scrapbooking! My other hobbies are writing and I am doing a distance learning course in Creative Writing, just to make me that little bit busier. I don’t do sleep. I love to spend time with friends and family and if I am not with the family, pets, working, taking pictures, writing or studying you will generally find me on the phone having a grand old natter with either my sister or a friend. I have my own studio at home, (Mr L is good to me) and do all of my scrapbooking in there. It has been moved round lots and lots but is finally getting into an order that I can deal with and one that I can work well in. This is where all the creativity happens!

When did first begin creating your designs, and why?
I can’t even remember when I first started creating my designs. I created my first ever scrapbook with one of my old school friends while still at school, 10 plus years ago. We wanted to keep all of our favourite songs in the book, photos from school and our letters that we used to write to each other while in science and maths class. However I didn’t really know what I was doing at the time. It wasn’t until about 8 years ago when a friend introduced me to ‘scrapbooking’ at a scrapbooking home party that I realised what I had been trying to do all those years ago, and instantly I was hooked. I loved presenting my pictures in very unique albums, so personal to us, and I also loved that everything that I was using for these albums were photo safe, as they were acid free and so the pictures would not deteriorate faster than they should. Our memories could be preserved and passed on to our future generations. Since then I have always scrapbooked, gradually going through our huge mountain of photos and trying to get them all safe and organised. While I was taking this Scrapbooking journey I had come across the idea of mini albums, but it wasn’t until 2008 that I decided to take the plunge. This was because I thought that this was a perfect idea to give to our parents who were now Grandparents following the birth of Baba. As soon as these were given to our parents, people started talking about how much they liked these albums and Scrapbookerry was taking it’s first baby steps into developing.


What is it that you enjoy about your work? 
I love everything about my work! I also feel so lucky to be able to say that because it really is true. The feeling that I get when someone receives one of my albums is a great feeling and I never forget it. I love the look on their faces and the fact that I have made them something personal, unique to them and safe for their photos, never gets old. People are so grateful and they are also moved. I enable them to record their special moments and I love that. That is a unique and wonderful thing to be able to do for people.

What is your biggest crafting achievement, and why?
There are quite a few that I could think of, but it would have to be making my best friend a hen do envelope album. It was filled with letters and pictures from her friends and family with information about what we loved about her, together with advice for her future with her new husband. She didn’t even read it and she started to cry. It was probably the most personal album I had made It actually made me cry while I was making it, as I sat I sat and read through all of the things that people had written about her, knowing how much these letters would mean to her. It may seem like a little achievement but it was huge for me. My friend had seen the things that I could make but had never actually been given something that I had made and it was a gift that I know she will treasure forever.

Other than your crafting, what else do you like to do? 
Writing, reading, spending time with my family, and walking the dogs. There really is nothing better than curling up under a blanket with the family, cups of hot chocolate, biscuits and watching a movie, with the dogs around you. That is the most ideal day ever!

If you had to choose your favourite from your creations which one would it be?
My ‘BABY’ Scrapbooks are my favourite, as they can also be made into NAME albums, used for weddings, pets, and holidays. I love these and I love making them. They are unique and so simple but make a huge impact.



Where does your inspiration come from?
I am always scrolling the internet, reading books, buying magazines, and watching craft programmes on TV. I also get inspiration from family and friends when sometimes they will comment on something and the idea just flows. I have an A3 sketchbook that I scribble all my ideas in and I try to keep a constant flow of doodles in there.

If you could change one thing about what you do, what would it be?
Having more time, as time runs away with me constantly. I am regularly working into the small hours as by the time I have made the product, uploaded it, promoted it and just generally got the day to day running of a family, done it is pretty late. Being a one woman band is hard work and it would be nicer to have more time.

Do you have a favourite website?
I have a few to be honest. My all time favourite is www.aliedwards.com I love everything that she does and am a little in awe of her!

Has any person helped or supported you more than any other? 
Apart from Mr L who puts up with the endless days of not seeing me during evening, me taking over the house with craft supplies and him supporting me while I have been battling with starting up, there have been some fantastic sponsors of my business. Carol who runs Dormouse and the Teapot (http://www.dormouseandtheteapot.com/) has supported me massively, redoing my website for me and creating my logo when we rebranded last year. Anna from Creative Connections (http://www.mysticearth.co.uk) has been a massive support to me over the last year, and my good friend Emma has really pulled me through some bad spots with the business and has convinced me to carry on. Last year was a hard year. I had a long break after we lost Rhianna and I had so much support from fellow craft businesses that both Mr L and I were shocked by the support that was there for us both. The list is endless but they are just a few. 


Tell us a random fact about yourself! 
I can touch my nose with my tongue! Ha-ha! 


No comments: