The 'Original' Creative Crafting Magazine written by Crafters, for Crafters

Creative Crafting magazine began in August/September 2009, when a group of crafting friends on the Creative Connections network decided that it would be a good idea to raise awareness of the crafting community. From this point they started work and the first issue of Creative Crafting was published in October 2009 and the last was June 2014.
Now we are bringing you everything crafty from the home and beyond.

Friday 8 July 2011

Guest Blog Spot - Polka Dot Blue

Hello lovely creative crafters, I’m Leonie from Polka Dot Blue, a craft and design blog www.polkadotblue.blogspot.com and I’m really excited to be guest blogging here today.

Today I’m sharing a little project of mine, but first I need to tell you a little secret...I’m terrible at origami.

Last year I was gifted an origami calendar; 365 pieces of origami paper with a different project for each day. After two weeks and many failed attempts I came to realise that my unique take on this ancient art form just wasn’t working out. So I decided to find alternative projects for all of that beautiful paper. 

Welcome to my ‘Top Four Things to do with Origami Paper that isn’t Origami’.

Number 1:
Bird-Bunting 

This is almost too easy, make a template of the shape of your choice; it could be birds,  boats or even letters, and cut out enough to make two metres of bunting. Sew onto a 2 ½ metre length of thread, et voila! Colourful and fun bunting.




Number 2:

Greetings Cards
This project is also pretty easy. To make greetings cards I simply sketched various designs onto tracing paper and then transferred them onto the back of the origami paper. I then cut each design out and glued it onto a card blank. The designing is the longest part, but they are very well-received by friends and family.




Number 3:

Love Letter Envelopes
Origami paper is just the right size to make tiny 7cm square envelopes. These are perfect for adorable love letters or using as a very cute and personal gift tag.









Number 4:

Gift Bows
A beautifully wrapped gift makes even the mundane amazing (socks, for example) and there is absolutely nothing better than an awesome hand-made bow. I made this project using this fantastic tutorial: http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2009/10/make-gift-bow-from-magazine-page.html.



So there you have it, my favourite things to make with origami paper. What are you favourite paper projects?
Thanks for reading!



No comments: