The 'Original' Creative Crafting Magazine written by Crafters, for Crafters

Creative Crafting magazine began in August/September 2009, when a group of crafting friends on the Creative Connections network decided that it would be a good idea to raise awareness of the crafting community. From this point they started work and the first issue of Creative Crafting was published in October 2009 and the last was June 2014.
Now we are bringing you everything crafty from the home and beyond.

Wednesday 29 May 2013

All Buttoned Up

All Buttoned Up
Published In Issue 23, June 2013
Written by Sally from The Bead Bounty



As a Lamp work bead artist, I like to keep my product innovative and fresh and was recently giving a lot of thought to new designs and products.

I was chatting with ‘Creative Crafting’ editor Anna one day and she suggested ‘Buttons’. I wasn’t sure at first because there was more to them than just using a mandrel (the metal rod you use to wind beads).  This was going to take some thinking about. Well, I did think about it and after only a couple of attempts came up with the best way of doing them.


Who would have guessed that Glass Bead making would lead me into the wonderful world of Buttons? I never would have, not in a million years, but now, glass buttons have me hooked. Oh, was I excited! These buttons were going to be one off original works of wearable art that would finish off the best of handcrafted projects. I started with some simple domed buttons with raised flower patterns.  I did these in pairs and although they were similar, they were in fact quite different from each other.



I then moved on to multi-layered buttons, some with encased flowers and some with raised flower design.
Delving further still, I made some open petal flowers, making the flower itself the button.
Last but not least and these have me, hook, line and sinker, I started to make ‘Fish’.




Fun and Funky Fish buttons, with a character all of their own. Each one has a name and the quirkiest face you have ever seen.

So I will continue on my quest to come up with interesting and varied button designs to delight my customers with and hope you have enjoyed seeing some of them too.

We know that there are many, many button lovers out there. Why not pop along to see Sally, she can create something ‘Especially for you!’










No comments: